1. Evolution Topic: Natural Selection as a Directive Process
ensue as by-products of natural selection
Darwin formulated natural selection primarily as differential
survival. The modern understanding of the principle of natural
selection is formulated in genetic and statistical
https://www.counterbalance.org/evolution/direct-body.html - 6.5kb
2. Intelligent Design Topic: The Distinction Between Natural and Non-Natural De...
The Distinction Between Natural and Non-Natural Designers
But isn't there an evidentially significant difference between Natural and non-Natural designers? It seems that this worry is really what's behind the desire to front-load all the
https://www.counterbalance.org/id-wd/disti-body.html - 9.3kb
3. Intelligent Design Topic: Can Specified Complexity Even Have a Mechanism?
not saying that for a given natural object exhibiting specified complexity, all the natural causal mechanisms so far considered have failed to account for it and therefore it had to be designed. Rather they are saying that the specified complexity
https://www.counterbalance.org/id-wd/cansp-body.html - 15.5kb
4. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Religion and the Rise of Science
do - a plausible task for natural theology and philosophy
- it is both permissible and necessary to
put the world to the test in Francis Bacon s memorable phrase - to
Beyond this, 17th-Century
https://www.counterbalance.org/ghc-outl/index-body.html - 7.5kb
5. Creation/Evolution Survey Topic: Results
one could view Christian theology as a subset of
what might be called natural theology . That is, one learns about God from
nature as well as from Christian documents. Any apparent conflicts between
observations of nature and the
https://www.counterbalance.org/evosurv/resul-body.html - 9.1kb
6. Divine Action Topic: Clarke, Chris. The Histories Interpretation of Qu...
quantum mechanics provides a natural setting for
understanding human and divine action. For Clarke, religion is largely about
finding the meaning of the good life, and our aim is to help people live it.
Hence we tell stories about the
https://www.counterbalance.org/ctns-vo/clark-body.html - 7.6kb
7. Divine Action Topic: Clifford, Anne M. Darwins Revolution in the...
Study of the Movement form Natural Theology to Natural Selection ."
Anne Clifford examines
Darwins The Origin of Species in
relation to nineteenth-century British Natural Theology. Though the latter was
considered a form of
https://www.counterbalance.org/ctns-vo/cliff-body.html - 7.7kb
8. Divine Action Topic: Murphy, Nancey. Divine Action in the Natural Orde...
criteria, derived from both theology and science,
which any satisfactory theory of divine action must meet. She claims that it
must allow for objectively special divine acts, yet not undercut our scientific
picture of the law-like regularity of
https://www.counterbalance.org/ctns-vo/murph-body.html - 4.4kb
9. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Natural Theology vs Theology of Nature
The demise of natural theology, and its
partial rebirth as a philosophical theology or new style natural theology are
well analysed by John Macquarrie. The central point to note is that those authors claiming to revive
https://www.counterbalance.org/ghc-outl/natur-body.html - 6.6kb
10. Divine Action Topic: Stoeger, Willam R., S.J. The Immanent Directional...
be discovered through the natural
sciences as they study the emergence of physical and biological structure,
complexity, life, and mind. He intentionally stresses this point since so many
scientists deny it. Stoeger, however, believes that the
https://www.counterbalance.org/ctns-vo/stoeg1-body.html - 6.6kb